The Atlanta Regional Commission is accepting public comment starting on November 4th and going until November 18th on a proposed amendment to the regional Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP), which is the funded portion of the long-term Regional Transportation Plan.
Comments may be made online or during a public hearing that will take place on Friday, November 4 during a meeting of the regional Transportation Coordinating Committee.
A public hearing is required for all transportation projects that are reviewed for their impact on the region’s air quality. ARC determined the projects in this TIP amendment will not affect the region’s ability to stay in compliance with air quality standards under the federal Clean Air Act.
The projects, selected in collaboration with local governments, include:
- Diverging diamond interchange at I-575 and Ridgewalk Parkway (City of Woodstock)
- Henry County local bus route pilot project connecting the McDonough city center and the Stockbridge Xpress park and ride lot (Henry County)
- North Point Parkway streetscape enhancements, complete streets upgrade, and road diet, from Mansell Road to Haynes Bridge Road; includes pedestrian lighting, wider sidewalks, and bike path (City of Alpharetta)
- Interchange improvements at I-575 and Town Lake Parkway to alleviate congestion and improve safety (Cherokee County)
- South Cobb Drive widening from Windy Hill Road to Concord Road; to include a raised median and pedestrian refuge to improve safety (Cobb County)
- Reconfigured ramp at I-20 and Chapel Hill Road to improve safety and reduce congestion (Douglas County)
- Partial cloverleaf interchange at I-985 and Thompson Mill Road that includes a bridge replacement over I-985 (Gwinnett County)
- State Route 81 widening between Keys Ferry Road and North/South Bethany Road; to include four lanes, raised median, and ADA-compliant sidewalks and shared-use path (Henry County)
- Poplar Road widening between Newnan Crossing Blvd. to Yeager Road (Coweta County)
- Lower Fayetteville Road widening from Greison Trail to Lora Smith Road (City of Newnan)
The TIP amendment and public hearing also includes changes to projects in the state Department of Transportation’s Major Mobility Investment Program:
- Cost estimate changes to account for increases in supply chain and fuel costs
- I-285 at I-20 West interchange
- SR 400 Express Lanes
- I-285 Top End – east and west Express Lanes
- I-285 Eastside Express Lanes
- I-285 Westside Express Lanes
- I-75 commercial vehicle lanes: addition of two northbound lanes
- I-285 Eastside Express Lanes: two barrier-separated lanes in each direction rather than single lane in each direction
- I-285 Westside Express Lanes: two barrier- separated lanes in each direction rather than single lane in each direction, with proposed full interchange at Cumberland Parkway.
More information is available at atlantaregional.org/amendment.